Hello! My name is Jordan Biery.

Photo Credit: Jordan Biery

Only look back to see how far you've come. - Anonymous

I have been very busy the past two years at Lehigh Carbon Community College! I came to LCCC because I was accepted into the Honors College program. It was a great blessing to be accepted into this program because only 22 individuals are admitted each year. This program allowed me to come to LCCC with a full-tuition scholarship. I also was blessed to be accepted into the NSF-STEM Scholars program at LCCC which awarded me with another scholarship. I have put the money that was awarded me to good use by taking advantage of as many opportunities that have been offered to me and challenging myself with my coursework.

For my first two years at LCCC I was a member of the Student Government Association (SGA). My first year in SGA I was the chair of the Finance committee. This committee kept track of the SGA budget and also the allotment of funds to other clubs on campus. My second year at LCCC I was voted into the office SGA Vice President. This position was a lot of fun and also challenged me to increase my leadership skills.

As mentioned above in the first paragraph, I was also a member of the Honors College at LCCC. This demanding program was a great challenge that caused me to grow academically, emotionally, and relationally. I graduated this past May 2014 with College Honors with a Chemical Technology (Chem. Tech.) Applied Associate of Science. The chem. tech. program was very challenging, but it opened my eyes to a whole different side of chemistry. I greatly enjoyed the various required chemistry classes that I took. I am proud to say that I have completed every upper-level chemistry class offered at LCCC.

While going through the chem. tech. program, Professor John Hefner introduced me to the amazing world of Polymer Chemistry. His class was very interesting and has real-life, practical applications. The class focuses on the unique properties of polymers, long chains of molecules bonded together. Almost everything that you can buy at the grocery store has some kind of polymer molecule in its packaging: soda bottles, Ziploc bags, shrink wrap on fresh meat, etc. In addition to these common place uses of polymer molecules there are revolutionary field in polymer chemistry that could produce scientific breakthroughs that revolutionize other science fields.

My career aspirations are to become a pediatric oncologist. I have always loved children and I love caring for others. These two character traits coupled with my love of science produce the right combination for my career goal. I would love to be the lead on a team that revolutionizes how cancer is treated and maybe be able to find the cure for pediatric cancers.

Photo Courtesy of St. Baldrick's Foundation

One cause that I am passionate about is raising awareness and money for pediatric cancer research. Pediatric cancer research does not get as much funding from the federal government as does adult onset cancers. One organization that's sole function is to raise funds for pediatric cancer research is the St. Baldrick's Foundation. They are the largest non-profit organization in the country that raises money for pediatric cancer through fundraising events called Shave For The Brave. Click here to go to the St. Baldrick's website.

I currently am completing the course requirements to graduate with a Natural Science Life Science (NSLS) Associate of Science this coming Spring 2015. I am also currently taking all the classes that I can to complete all the prerequisites needed to take the medical college admission test (MCAT).